Job Title: SENIOR TEST DEVELOPER (MATERNITY COVER)
Reporting to: Head of Technical Development
Hours of work: Full Time – 35 hours per week
Location: Vauxhall, London.
The Digital TV Group (DTG) is the industry association for digital television in the UK. It is independent, platform-neutral and technology agnostic. Trading activity is undertaken by the Groups subsidiary, the industry test centre (DTG Testing Ltd) which carries out product testing internationally and develops and distributes licences to its Test Suites. More information about the DTG can be found at www.dtg.org.uk .
The DTG as a whole is currently focused on the rapidly emerging consumer devices and experiences including ultra-high definition TV, 3DTV, video-on-demand, Hybrid Connected TV and new UHF spectrum uses including LTE and TV White Space Devices.
The position is based at the DTG offices in London (3 minutes walk from Vauxhall tube and rail stations).
Working to the Head of Technical Development this role involves leading the specification, design, development and maintenance of test products for broadcast and hybrid TV devices. Most work will be performed in small development groups and the post holder will assist guiding and mentoring other members of the group to assist with development tasks. DTGTL products include test suites for UK standard and high definition services, Freesat UK and an increasing number of overseas territories. The post holder will work from platform interoperability specifications (for example, D-Book and HbbTV) and will specify test coverage requirements for test cases to demonstrate conformance to that specification. He/she will develop test materials and will coordinate with stakeholders to demonstrate coverage and suitability of the proposed solution.
In addition to test material products, the post holder will assist in technical aspects of the development and delivery of company infrastructure projects.
- From system specifications identify device test requirements, design and implement test case materials to perform those tests in an efficient but thorough manner
- Manage test materials as a commercial product throughout a full product lifecycle including distribution to customers and maintenance phases
- Take responsibility for supporting work such as customer discussion, documentation, testing, product acceptance
- Promote best practices for test planning, development and maintenance within the team and to the wider company.
- Represent the DTGs interests at appropriate industry standard groups.
- Develop project work with service providers such as YouView, Freeview and Freesat and technology groups such as HbbTV, OIPF.
- Provide technical support, advice, consultancy and technical development interface with software developers, service providers and other outside organisations on matters within the postholder’s field of expertise as required.
- Provide support and assistance to the Technology Director and Head of Technical Development on day to day technical issues.
- Participate in the development of DTG processes, procedures and best practices.
- Prepare documentation for the projects, including confidential reports to manufacturers, papers, presentations and detailed unambiguous test procedures for widespread dissemination.
- Ensure that appropriate system development and security backups are maintained to safeguard the security of all personal work related project systems and data.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
The successful candidate will have:
- A degree in Electronics or Computer Science or a closely related subject area.
- Strong understanding of the various types of software and system testing approaches
- Experience in creating test strategies and materials for device testing, ideally in an IPTV, hybrid TV or wireless network device context, at integration or black box device level
- Experience of DVB systems, HbbTV or other HTML platforms, MHEG, broadcast metadata, or other wireless communications technologies.
- Demonstrate flexibility in implementation strategies through experience in a number of development languages, such as Python, Perl, etc.
- Have experience of Configuration and Release Management, ideally with Subversion, Git or similar VCS.
- Have experience in product maintenance, bug triage and fix scheduling, ideally using Jira or similar tools.
- The capability to produce original work together with the imagination and inspiration to provide answers to technical and engineering problems and the necessary judgement to determine the most appropriate solution.
- Good written, oral and presentation communication skills.
- The ability to work with and mentor in-house staff, contractors and partners contributing to projects.
- The ability to work independently or as an integrated member of a team.
- Interest in developing and maintaining personal and Company expertise relevant to the field of work.
- ISTQB or similar qualification
- Have experience of co-ordinating or supporting the work of small project teams.
- Demonstrable experience and understanding of the field of digital TV product development, electronics, computer or embedded-application engineering in a related field.
To apply: Please send your CV to [email protected]
Closing date: 3rd January 2014